A small hamlet with its own church
The Manor was held by the Sackville family from about 1200, when it was held by Geoffrey de Sackville, until 1577, when Sir Thomas Sackville, (later Earl of Dorset), sold it to Sir George Peckham. In 1586, William Hampden (cousin and executor of John Hampden) acquired the Manor, and it was passed down through the Hampden family until 1665, when Richard Hampden sold it a London merchant, Henry Ashhurst. In 1805, the Manor was sold to the Wykeham family, and finally in 1929 was sold to Magdalen College, Oxford.
Parish church of St Nicholas (nave, looking toward the chancel)
Emmington has had a parish priest since at least 1190. Demolition work in 1873 discovered what was believed to be Norman masonry, suggesting that the original parish church was on the same site as the present Church of England parish church of Saint Nicholas. The building was largely rebuilt in the 14th century, and the belltower and several Decorated Gothic features survive from this time. In 1874 the chancel and nave were partly rebuilt under the direction of the Gothic Revival architects Charles Buckeridge and J.L. Pearson.